Thursday, October 8, 2026

Dead in Three Two One by Peter James

 


Having known Brighton only as a tourist from Australia I still get a kick out of reading Peter James’s Grace thrillers and imagining that beautiful part of the world, or the best bits of it, which are all I experienced.

In Dead in Three Two One, Detective Superintendent Roy Grace is, unknowingly this time, involved in a race against time. Brighton Pride weekend has attracted half a million visitors to the city and Roy is flat out coordinating a massive security operation, while at the same time being unaware of an attack being planned against him personally.

The story is filled with suspense and is centred mainly around the Royal Courtenay Hotel. General Manager Aleksander Twarowski is determined to keep operations running smoothly on such a huge weekend, with full occupancy. Peter James describes Aleksander as being tall, immaculately dressed, charming, with hair like Eddie Redmayne’s (although I  preferred to picture Tom Hiddleston in The Night Manager).

There is a particularly nasty villain whom Roy and his team are pursuing, suspecting him of being involved in at least one crime. There is a maddening clue which keeps being overlooked, and if Dead in Three Two One were a movie I would be yelling from my lounge chair: look over there!!

Totally satisfying.

Published by Pan Macmillan 

No comments:

Post a Comment