Tessa and Theo are twins living a happy, privileged life with their French mother and English father in England at the start of World War Two, and sharing a strong, loving bond. While Theo becomes a RAF pilot, Tessa, his equally strong spirited and brave sister, is dismayed at the prospect of the typing pool, or the FANYS (First Aid Nursing Yeomanry). When Tessa is recruited to spy with the French resistance she joins up gladly.
I didn’t know until I read The Shock of the Light that English women who were captured in France while spying did not have the protection of being treated as prisoners of war because they did not wear uniforms. Lori Inglis Hall has brought a staggering reality to the fear of not knowing who to trust while at the same time being under the same suspicion. It’s hard to imagine someone growing up in a safe home suddenly facing a brutal, non-discriminating enemy, and the prospect of capture, physical cruelty and even death every day.
I remember reading Martha Hall Kelly’s The Lilac Girls and finding out for the first time about Ravensbrook, the unbelievably sadistic women’s concentration camp. I do hope schools these days are teaching children how they came to inherit the freedoms of the world they are living in, and how precious those freedoms are.
Theo has his own story line and he is a memorable, beautiful character. Reading this book is an intense, emotional experience. It covers the full spectrum of happiness and heartbreak; strengths and weaknesses; love and betrayal; and I am very happy to add this bit: the calming, healing influence of cats on human’s lives.
Published by The Borough Press

No comments:
Post a Comment