Monday, April 22, 2024

Tell Me Everything by Elizabeth Strout

 


I’ve collected most of the Lucy Barton books but, unfortunately, I only had time to re-read one, Oh William!, to reacquaint myself with some of Lucy’s story before reviewing Tell Me Everything.

In Tell Me Everything, Lucy is sharing a house with William, her ex-husband, and has a loving friendship with Bob Burgess. She has begun meeting regularly with Olive Ketteridge for the purpose of hearing Olive’s stories, and in turn telling Olive some of hers. In this way it’s good to find out what is happening with Olive now.

Lucy and Bob meet frequently for walks and Lucy is privy to Bob’s guilty secret of smoking the occasional half a cigarette. In their conversations they discover things about each other and, on reflection, about themselves. I’ve read a few books lately which focus on the lifelong effects of parent/child relationships and I’m nearly at the point of having heart-to-hearts with my own children and asking them how good, or bad, a mother I was/am. Then again, is anybody ever ready for that talk?

As you can see, Elizabeth Strout brings out my inner philosopher, which I’m sure happens with all of her readers. I would love to read all of her books again but, you know, so many books, so little time.

It was an absolute treat to catch up with Lucy Barton again!

Published by Random House


No comments:

Post a Comment