Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Aphrodite’s Breath by Susan Johnson

 


Aphrodite’s Breath is Susan Johnson’s memoir of taking her mother, Barbara, to live with her on the Greek island of Kythera. It is so relatable, so real, such a down to earth examination of a mother and daughter relationship that I kept putting myself in Susan’s shoes; that is, when I wasn’t putting myself in Barbara’s shoes! Like Susan, I have sons and no daughters and I’m wondering now if I would have had a better understanding of my own mother if I had had a daughter of my own. This thoughtful book had me pondering all sorts of questions.

This was one time I was pleased to be reading a physical book rather than my Kindle. There are a lot of pages I know I’m going to want to reread and I’ve even photographed sections so I’ll know where to find them. I would like to quote some sentences here but I wouldn’t know where to stop and I don’t want to spoil the experience of finding them for other readers,

I looked up Kythera and it looks like a beautiful holiday destination; however, Susan and her mother found the changes the off season brought to the island showed a different side to the island. Susan wanted an authentic experience, having visited Kythera as a young girl and wondering what life would be like there, including making friends and taking part in local happenings;  however, Barbara, at 86, found it hard to be away from the comforts and familiarities of home in Brisbane.

This is just an aside: I was reminded of Charmian Clift and George Johnston and their life on Hydra while reading Aphrodite’s Tears. I recently lost all of my books in a flood, including a brilliant biography of Charmian Clift and a copy of her book, Peel Me a Lotus. I must try to find replacements.

But I digress:  Susan Johnson’s honest self-appraisals are moving and open and I felt at times she was holding up a mirror for me to look into! The island of Kythera was as much a character here as Susan and her dear mother. The island’s history and its inhabitants all add to the joy of reading this engrossing book.

Published by Allen & Unwin



No comments:

Post a Comment