Sunday, February 19, 2023

Exiles by Jane Harper

 


Aaron Falk is visiting in the South Australian wine growing region so from the outset you have an enduring, attractive character in a beautiful part of the world. The story is absolutely riveting: a mysterious disappearance which has been investigated thoroughly still hasn’t been solved twelve months later and it starts to play on Falk’s mind. The friends he is visiting are at a total loss regarding what happened to Kim and why her baby daughter was abandoned in a safe spot at the annual wine festival.

Falk has met a woman and his sweetness and vulnerability are utterly charming. I love the the atmosphere Jane Harper creates around them. After living through the trauma caused by a natural disaster for the past three months I could feel, and was grateful for, the peace and happiness flowing from those scenes in the book. What brilliant writing!

It was such a good, satisfying mystery. I thought I had worked out the who and possibly the why, but I couldn’t figure out the how. There was a second mystery waiting to be solved as well and for that I hadn’t come up with a who, why or how, which is always a good way to be.

I’m going to come right out and say it: this is Jane Harper’s best book ever! I humbly offer a 5 out of 5 rating.

Published by Pan Macmillan


No comments:

Post a Comment