Wednesday, March 23, 2022

The Secrets of Strangers by Charity Norman

 


This is one of the most emotionally powerful books I have ever read. Charity Norman takes a group of people from vastly differing backgrounds and puts them together in a tense, potentially dangerous situation. It is such a good, well written story and its characters are so believable that it held me in its thrall from the first line to the last.

The word, ‘gaslighting’ is being used a lot these days. A long time ago I saw the movie, Gaslight, which starred Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer, and which was pretty old even then. It made a lasting impression on me because it showed how quickly and easily one person can gain control of another person’s mind. There are perfect examples of gaslighting in this book and also in Sally Hepworth’s The Younger Wife, another terrific read. 

But, back to Charity Norman who is an absolutely brilliant story teller. Charity was born in Uganda and she has included, with heartfelt authenticity, a refugee as an important  player in her story. Each of her characters contributes to the story of a man laying siege to a cafe, his hostages and a police negotiator. All of these people become real and the highly dramatic story becomes one of compassion, sadness, happiness  and hope.

Charity Norman has become my newest favourite author and I am so pleased that I haven’t yet read all of her books. What a treat is in store for me! This book obviously rates five out of five stars.

Published by Allen & Unwin 

No comments:

Post a Comment