Friday, May 28, 2021

The Road Trip by Beth O’Leary

 


This story is romantic, funny and serious in equal measure. Addie and Dylan meet and are instantly attracted to each other and life is perfect until, of course, it isn’t. Dylan brings quite a lot of baggage into their lives and Addie is forced to cope with the impacts of his friendship with Marcus and his relationship with his father.
The interweaving between past and present is beautifully and skilfully done. There is a lovely tension built up in learning how what happened then led to what is happening now.
In the present the road trip featuring five people in a Mini has a lot of delightfully hilarious moments while at the same time the revelations of underhanded, and much worse, behaviour in the past bring a dark side to the story. 
The supporting characters are well drawn and thus very interesting and it is hard not to discuss them here but, as usual, I don’t want to give anything away and would rather other readers get to know and enjoy them as much as I did. Some are nice, some are not,  but all contribute to this great read. 
I had read The Flatshare and liked it very much but I liked The Road Trip even more! I look forward to reading more from Beth O’Leary.
As an aside I improved my admittedly rather sketchy technical knowledge when I taught myself to “scan the QR code” at the back of the book and get the playlist that is mentioned on the road trip! What do you know, huh?
5 out of 5
Published by Quercus Editions Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment