Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Just Like You by Nick Hornby

 


Gosh, this was a good read! It was my first Nick Hornby although I have read The Hive by his sister, Gill Hornby, about an English village choir, which I loved (and which I’ll have to read again now).

Back to Just Like You. The main characters, Lucy, Joseph and Lucy’s sons, Dylan and Al, are all terribly likeable and self-aware. The social and political issues at the basis of the story are shown from different sides skilfully and sympathetically. There is much warmth and humour as well as clear eyed observations of the real and difficult problems being experienced by them all.

Nick Hornby obviously has a great understanding of his fellow humans. I loved the two worldly-wise little boys, they were perfect! Lucy and Joseph, so very different yet sharing such honesty with each other and within themselves,  made reading this book an absolute pleasure.

I will have to read more of Nick Hornby’s books and I recommend this one for its true to life, unforgettable  characterisations. You can’t read it and not love it!

It has to be 5 out of 5 again. I am on such a roll.

Published by Penguin Random House.


No comments:

Post a Comment